Sunday, January 6, 2013

Thoughts after reading your letters


I just finished reading all the letters of introductions from my new students. I love reading about students hobbies, what's important to them, and their experiences with other languages and cultures. I even learned about airsoft, though I don't know how it's different than paintball.

A lot of students mentioned that they have had Spanish before but they don't remember much. That is a pretty normal response. I bet many of you remember more than you realize, and things will come back to you as we review them.

We understand that for most of our students Spanish class is like a side salad. It's not the main course, but it's a good place for getting nutrients that make you healthier. That's why we've set up the class to focus more on participation and projects rather than exams. We don't expect you to remember everything forever, but we design the course to help you develop skills that you will use beyond this class, such as

  • growth and reflection - we want to help you find areas that you have improved in and identify what you did to help you grow
  • respectful, positive communication - how you do/say something often communicates more that what you actually say
  • keep an open mind - learning to be curious and non-judgmental about new and different things you encounter
Many of you mentioned that in order for you to be successful you need your teachers to be patient. That will be my goal for this trimester, to be patient and support my students as they learn about Spanish culture and language. What I want in return from my students is a positive effort and focus everyday in class. 

I'm really looking forward to this trimester.

No comments:

Post a Comment